Moving on yet avoiding relapse by periodic reinforcement
of your personal commitment to Never Take Another Puff!
Congratulations! By the end of week two you are hopefully starting to realize that everything you did as a smoker you will soon being doing as well as or better as an ex-smoker. It's a fact you likely didn't believe when you took that first bold step toward freedom.
The below "moving on" and relapse prevention lessons will aid in avoiding relapse by reinforcing your original commitment to Never Take Another Puff. The lessons are presented in four formats: Dial-Up - as small video files for those with slower dial-up Internet connections; HS/BB - as larger videos for those with high speed or broadband Internet access; Audio - as smaller audio files without video; and MP3 - as audio files for use on MP3 players. All files will play on Windows Media Player. You can click on this icon to download a Windows Media Player.
Video Title Dial-Up HS/BB MP3 Length Added Getting on with the rest of your life 3.39mb 10.1mb 4.22mb 09:21 11/27/06 "I know I am going to gain weight if I quit smoking!" 4.82mb 14.4mb 5.94mb 13:05 11/28/06 "The only time I think of smoking is when I get one of your stupid letters" 3.16mb 9.45mb 3.87mb 08:36 11/27/06 "I'll come for reinforcement when I need it" 3.83mb 11.5mb 4.73mb 10:24 11/08/06 What is your quit smoking mantra? 8.60mb 14.0mb 5.79mb 12:47 11/17/06 "If I relapse I'll smoke until it kills me" 1.58mb 04.4mb 2.37mb 05:11 02/25/07
Commitment Reinforcement & Relapse Prevention Reading
- The Smokers Vow
- The Law of Addiction
- "Just One Little Puff"
- "Was I Addicted?"
- Divine Revelations
- Maybe I'm Different?
- Everyone is Different
- New Year's Resolution
- Fixating on a Cigarette
- Never Take Another Puff!
- I Can't Quit or I Won't Quit
- The Lucky Ones Get Hooked!
- Negative Support From Others
- "I feel 100% better since I Quit"
- "I'm Not Going to Smoke Today!"
- "New Reactions to Anger as an Ex-smoker"
- "Why are you so hard on the concept of cheating?"
- "Things were just so bad at work I had to take a cigarette!"
- "If they ever cure lung cancer, I am going back to smoking!"
- "I went back to smoking while in the hospital with pneumonia!"
- Come Share Your Strength, Come Recognize Your Vulnerabilities
- "You said it would get better!" "It's just as bad as the day I quit!"
- "The only time I think of cigarettes is when I receive your stupid letters!"
Daily Quitting Lesson Guide
Joel Spitzer has provided smoking cessation and prevention services since 1972. Having started as a volunteer speaker and then a professional staff member of the American Cancer Society, he became smoking programs coordinator for the Rush North Shore Medical Center in Skokie, Illinois. Today Joel provides smoking cessation and prevention services for the Evanston and Skokie Health Departments while also serving as director of education at WhyQuit's Freedom from Tobacco, a free online nicotine dependency recovery forum.
Page created 11/29/06, Last updated 02/15/08 by John R. Polito